Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Star Wars, One Letter at a Time

Hm. I didn't expect this piece to be so literal. S-t-a-r W-a-r-s E-p-i-s-o-d-e F-o-u-r. Jesus! It's sort of like this animation is from the typewriter's perspective or something. We hear the keys pounding, notice the turn of the spool that moves the paper up and down, and we have to sit through that 'ding!' noise after each line is done.

The letters fly by too fast to read coherently. I can make out some words here or there. Like 'George Lucas,' for instance, and 'SCENE EXTERIOR,' and what-not. I don't know how much of the script this goes through, maybe the entirety of Episode IV. Maybe the entirety of the first trilogy. I wouldn't notice the change, I think. Did I mention how fast these letters flash by the screen?

There is no interactivity to this piece. At least, none that I can detect. It is possible to highlight the shifting text, though, and that spices it up a little bit. All that I can gather from this is that it was either some guy's very unique idea, or it was some guy's way of showing us how immensely complex language is, and how easy it is to confuse the brain. If you think about it, these letters are flashing across the screen at (this is just a guess) about the rate we would take them in if we were reading whole words at once—and yet we can barely make sense of them, despite knowing the story inside-out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment